Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Friday, October 21, 2011

Long Live Rusty Slammington


What is Rusty Slammington? It's just as its name describes; an E28 BMW 5-series with rusty sheet metal and a slammed wheel and suspension combination. It Draws inspiration distinctly rat rod and German Bosuzoku. What's more, the engine is a Toyota Supra 1JZ-GTE. Really, Rusty Slammington shouldn't exist. There is no car quite like it, before or since.

That said, the phenomena of Rusty Slammington is its global appeal. People who don't understand Fatlace or Hellaflush can still appreciate Rusty. Those who are stunned when a rat rodder answers, "It's done" when asked what color they're going to paint their Deuce can still appreciate Rusty as well.

Unfortunately, a freak garage fire earlier this April critically burned Rusty. No one was more devastated than its owner, Mike Burroughs. When Mike revealed the aftermath of the fire on his blog, he made sure to add, "Rusty is probably my best friend... Rusty and I have been through a lot. Probably more than most friendships could hope for in the good times or handle in the bad. Rusty has become the one thing I’ve always been able to count on, no matter what." The automotive community mourned.


I'll admit, while I really enjoyed the car, I was over it fairly quickly, which probably explains why it took me so long to revisit it. I'm glad I did! Rusty, which also suffered a terrible car accident many years ago, escapes death once more. Mike Burroughs, throwing caution to the wind, has been busy at work resurrecting Rusty, fire damage and all!!

As musical genius, Kanye West, once sampled:

"Through the fire, to the limit, to the wall!
For a chance to be with you, I'd gladly risk it all!"        -- Through the Wire

Good luck to you, Mike Burroughs. I'm sure you'll make Rusty better than he once was. What doesn't kill Rusty makes it stronger. The following video, uploaded 17 days ago on Mike Burroughs' personal channel, revealed a teaser of the build.



Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment