Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Freak of the Week: Up To No Good



I decided to go underground for our FotW # 12. The Cannonball Run was an "organized" event in the '70s where participants gathered at a hotel in New York City to set off for a coast-to-coast race to see who could cover 2,800 or so miles in the shortest amount of time, finishing at another hotel in Los Angeles.

I would like to make it crystal clear to everyone that Flappy Paddle Heads does not condone activities the following vehicles will tempt you into committing. Please drive carefully! That said, if danger is what you seek, you might as well come prepared.






I can honestly say that this is as far as I'll venture. I came up with the idea to do a FotW on prepped high speed cross-country vehicles with curiosity and optimism. But when I tried to gather information on liquid-cooled infrasonic wave pulse generators, all I found were more sites trying to figure out the same thing I was. Defeated and empty handed, I realized that I am officially in over my head on this one.

But before I leave the post with a pathetic apology, I'd like to address the presence of Alex Roy in both YouTube videos-- it is not a coincidence. Alex Roy is the founder, team captain, and lead pilot of Team Polizei 144, which held the record in 2006 for completing the run in 32 hours and 4 minutes.

Quite the personality, I would like to leave you with a video series straight from Team Polizei 144's YouTube channel. Here is a showcase of the European Gumball event, the cars, and the skills of the drivers.





No comments:

Post a Comment